Sunday, October 4, 2020

My New Plein Air Setup

In 2016 I wrote a post about my plein air setup- easel, backpack and all the accessories.
What's in the Backpack

I used this setup for 5 years and it served me very well.  I cannot say enough about my love of the Strada easel, and though I have made changes I will always keep it for travel because it is virtually indestructible.  I never worried about putting it in my checked luggage.  I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying one, and  since I bought mine the design has improved.

But... there are always new products and new temptations.  Recently I became acquainted with the Edge Pro Paintbook.  If you want to stay safe, do not watch the video on the website.  It will be impossible to resist.  Remember that I warned you.  Edge Pro Paintbook

Here is what I like about it compared to my previous easel.  For about an extra pound, the mixing surface is much larger than the Strada mini, which is what I have.  The Strada side trays add extra mixing surface but also add weight, making it closer to the Paintbox. Also they are not included in the price of the easel.  Downside is the Paintbox is made of wood, and though very well constructed I doubt it is unbreakable.  The mixing surface is a very durable glass.  The Strada comes with plexiglass and I didn't replace it, again because of weight, but cleaning glass is so much easier.  I had a number of bad episodes when I let paint dry on the plexiglass.  I mix on glass in my studio so it feels right.  I bought the magnetized mineral spirits can.  It holds onto the light weight side trays (which are included in the price) very well.  I didn't get the tripod in order to spend less. I stuck with my old mefoto because it is so compact and light.  That could be a mistake because it is not as strong, but so far so good. It is rated to hold about 8 lbs., and my loaded easel is significantly less than that.  Mefoto Tripod

My backpack had seen better days, though the appearance wasn't important to me.  It had a number of compartments.  In order for everything to fit I had to pack it the same way each time.  If I was missing anything it was pretty obvious because its spot would be empty.  However, packing and unpacking it was a bit of a nuisance.  A painting friend (thank you Capey!) tipped me off about this one that she saw at a workshop with Marc Hanson and Dottie Leatherwood who use them -  C- Series large backpack 

The inside is one large compartment.  In order to accommodate the Edge Pro I bought the larger size.  It easily holds everything I carry and my tripod fits in the generous pocket and straps on the outside, something my old backpack didn't have.  That leaves more room inside.  There is a velcro pocket inside on the back for smaller items such as viewfinders. The company guarantees them for life.  Custom colors are available but not returnable. This backpack is much more comfortable than my old one.  I think I could actually hike a good distance with my set up now. When fully packed it weighs about 15 lbs.  

I use the same accessories as before- a brush wallet, the collapsable mesh trash holder, a ValueComp card and small viewfinder, all made by Artwork Essentials.   Accessories  Scroll down to find these and other useful items.  I always have small adjustable locking pliers for paint tubes that don't want to share.  They are about $1 at Lowes.  I carry a plastic container for my paint, all small tubes, limited palette for less weight.  Here are all the accessories that fit inside the pack with the paintbox and side trays, plus a towel and my apron.  The small square viewfinder is home made.







I still use the Raymar wet panel carriers and have several sizes, but I also love PanelPaks.  If using a small size I can put it in the backpack for hands free hiking. This clever design allows me to carry one or two wet panels that are the same size. 




Last but not least-  a good sun protective hat is essential.  I have a large head- a family trait- and "one size" hats never work for me.  Tilley makes excellent sized sun protective hats but they are quite expensive.  I have found another site that is more reasonable and has great products.  The hats are sized and they have styles for men and women.  There is a "women with large heads" section!

So here is how it looks in the field-  check out that mixing surface!  And that turp can isn't going anywhere.  I use a cord with binder clips tied to each end to hold the paper towels. Bungie cord hooks don't work well on this easel





And here is the total package-  I keep it, as always, in my studio by the door- a completely separate setup (so I never have to remember to add items from the studio).  Always at the ready- grab and go!  This is a must if you want to paint out regularly.  


I hope you found this update helpful.  Happy painting this fall!

P.S.-
Don't forget the bug spray and sunscreen in the other outside pocket.  



No comments:

Post a Comment