Saturday, May 23, 2020

Thoughts on Having a Website

I have many painting friends and we often get into discussions about websites.  Some of them have one, others do not but are contemplating.  I started my own after I had been painting about 2 1/2 years.  By that time I had already participated in a local art show so I felt it was time.  Looking back I am sure this was premature but I'm still glad I started when I did.

Whether I am in a show or just meeting people who want to talk about art, I am almost always asked whether or not I have a website.  Answering yes to this question seems to elevate my standing in the person's estimation.  It doesn't automatically follow that my art is good, but it does make it clear that I take my work seriously.  Having and maintaining a website connotes professionalism.  I'll get back to that later.  There are many obvious reasons to have one, but the value of a digital studio that is organized and easily accessed cannot be overemphasized.

I did not build my own site or pay someone to do it.  Instead I used an art platform (initially Artspan) designed for artists and artisans of every description.  I was on Artspan for at least 6 years. The price was reasonable and it was fairly user friendly.  About 2 years ago I switched to FASO (Fine Art Studio Online).  Many well known contemporary artists use this company.  I have been very happy so far.  The support is excellent and they do a good job of promoting the artists.  Only painters are on on this site, which I prefer to being in a much larger group of sculptors, photographers and artisans.  The yearly cost is a bit more than Artspan but is worth it and is much less than hiring an individual to build and maintain a site.

Here is my home page-  you can click on the image for a larger view.




This is a little hard to see here but easily read on the site.  I have my own domain https://colleenparkerart.com which is what I put on my business cards*, but I can also be found on the FASO site.  I had already established my blog on blogspot so I put a link to that site in my menu, otherwise  I would have blogged from within FASO.  Monthly contests are included, always a good way to call attention to your work.  I also have a link to my Facebook business page. FASO recommends including both "contact the artist" and "join email list" in the menu so I have done that. One can generate newsletters as well.  I only do this a few times a year showing selected new work, but this is a good way to advertise special events, sales, etc.

Loading images in this system is very easy and the design options are huge.  So far I only keep available paintings on my site, divided into studio and plein air works.  Many artists choose to separate the paintings by genre and include sold items, but I prefer not to make visitors wade through paintings that are unavailable. (I do have a small archive section just to show what else I do that might not be represented in my current available work.)

I have two points I will make based on my over 10 year experience of having a website-

1.  It is better to start too early than later, yet it's never too late.  In my early painting days I had many more failed paintings that never made it to the site, so there was less to manage.  I developed my routine in a low volume situation which was easier while getting started.

2.  Maintaining one's website, and by that I mean keeping it up to date, is key in my opinion.  I meet a lot of professional artists who admit that they have neglected their sites. (I don't ask them, they volunteer this information.)   A good gallery will keep its website updated with its own inventory, but I think artists should have a personal site as well, referencing the galleries where specific works are located.

If you want to do it, don't be afraid!  Remember that you do not have to do it all at once. Just getting a basic design and a putting in a few works is a good start.

Below is a link to FASO.  They offer a free trial.  (I don't get a kickback for this!)

Try FASO

*I doubt I'll write a post about business cards but who knows.  I love Vistaprint.  Take a look at their website if you are interested.  Vistaprint  My most recent ones are square with a glossy finish, two sided.  Even with the extras the price was very reasonable.  I make new ones about every 2 years to update the image and try new looks.  I affix my older ones to the back of my paintings since the contact info is the same.

Here is my new one, front (detail of a larger painting) and back.  I should have made the print on the back a bit larger, otherwise I'm happy with it.





Thanks for reading!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment