Saturday, June 1, 2019

Painting a Series

Years ago one of my workshop instructors recommended painting a series to the group. He often started a new painting every day, each with similar subject matter and worked on all of them together until they were finished, as many as 20 paintings. Everything he learned from one could be applied to the next.  For him the obvious utility was to produce a group of related paintings for a gallery show, but he also said that doing this would make us better painters.  All these years later I have yet to do this in the methodical way he described.  However I have revisited many themes, sometimes 2 or 3 at a time, and I have learned a lot about specific subjects.

I love bicycles.  They are interesting and not easy to draw.  I live near Charleston, SC. The College of Charleston is downtown near the historic district.  Bikes are everywhere.  I love to go to town to take photos, particularly on days with good light.  Below is a series I have painted over about 4 years.

I started with single bikes, trying to figure out how to draw them.



Then I tackled some groups- the first is a small study, the second a 16"x20" version of the same scene.




I have played around with details of the city.





I have revisited the same locations for different arrangements.



I started taking similar reference photos when I traveled.  This one is near SCAD in Savannah.



Recently I tried a scene in which the bikes were not the main event.  This is a well known landmark in Charleston, also an attempt at a nocturne.





What I have learned from this-

1. When drawing bikes, get the wheels right first, making sure they are the right distance apart and the right shape (they are often ellipses rather than circles).  Then add the frame.

2.  Groupings are more interesting when there are splashes of color.  I am partial to turquoise and red, but they can't all be colorful.  Push the color on just a few, the stars of the show.

3.  Don't worry about all the details when painting a group.  Even if all the handle bars don't match up with a specific bike it doesn't matter- the more chaotic the better.

4.  Suggest a few of the wheel spokes with a fine round brush, don't try to paint all of them.

5.  Play up metallic highlights, especially on baskets and handlebars.

6.  Bike shadows are great- include them when you can.  I have seen wonderful paintings of bike shadows without the bike itself.  I will try this sometime.

Thanks for reading!  Have a great summer- this is my last post until fall.


No comments:

Post a Comment